Skip to content

Health and Safety

We hold our students’ health and safety in the highest regard. All programs provide information about required immunizations as well as local health and safety conditions. Security is a priority in both the accommodations and classroom environments. Along with the thorough review of health and safety concerns conducted by the GO Program, the students are informed of how they may ensure their health and safety while participating in the program.

Health and Safety FAQ

Q: Will their health insurance cover them abroad?
A: All Susquehanna students are required to have insurance during their study away program.  All students are automatically enrolled in the university EIIA insurance.  This insurance covers emergency medical care and evacuation.
*Students participating on a domestic program in the United States or outlying territories must secure and present proof of insurance before departure to the Global Programs office.
GO Long/GYOW students participating on a 3rd party program provider program, should contact their program directly for insurance coverage information, as more specific insurance may be required for VISA purposes.

Students participating on SU-in programs may be required to enroll in specific insurance for VISA purposes and this information will be provided to the student during the application process.  However, students who require ongoing medical care i.e. pre-existing condition may choose to enroll in GEO Blue Insurance for their time abroad. The fee is $256 per semester (as of 2017). 

Q: Will my student need to receive any immunizations?
A: Immunization requirements vary by country. Students traveling to Europe, Australia and New Zealand typically do not need any immunizations.  Your student will be informed by their program what immunizations are necessary for their particular location, or to look at the CDC website for information on required and recommended immunizations.  For more information on country specific immunizations, please visit the  

Q: What training is required for students and program leaders before departure?
A:  The Office of Global Programs coordinates the following:
For GO Short students:
Student take a program-specific preparation course before departure with the program leader.  The SU faculty and staff program leaders have been trained on health and safety protocols prior to departure.  All students are given general country specific health and safety information during the course.  
For GO Long/GYOW students:
While students take a Preparation for Global Opportunities course focusing on general approaches to culture; they receive travel health and safety information during a required in-person training prior to departure. The professional staff leading the health and safety trainings have prior experience in risk management. 
Q: How should my student keep updated on current emergency events and travel warnings during their program?
A:  The US State Department’s Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (S.T.E.P.) sends registered travelers information about emergencies in country.
For GO Long/GYOW students:
All GO Long and GYOW students are required to register themselves with the U.S. State Department's Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (S.T.E.P.) before departure and for each side trip during their time away, so that regular updates regarding safety and health abroad can be sent to them directly.
For GO Short students:
All GO Short students are registered with S.T.E.P. by their program leaders.
Q: What communication is required of my student while on program to SU?
A:  Students are asked to follow the specific steps below while on program:
  • SU students are required to alert the GO Program and their program provider of all regional travel plans during their GO program (side-trips) BEFORE departure by logging back into their APPLY TO GO application and completing the side-trips form. If students are unable to access the form, they should send an email to with their side trip location, dates, transportation, accommodation and contact number.
  • As noted during the health and safety training, when there is a safety or health incident in a student's region, country or city, they are required to check in with their host university and email the GO Program at ( to let us know that they are safe. 

Q: Who is the on-site contact for my student while away and what information is generally provided on site?
A: Each program has an on-site contact who is readily available to aid the student in case of an emergency however, the GO Program is available to, and in contact with, our students periodically during their time away.
For GO Short students:
GO Short program are led by faculty and staff and they are available 24/7 to the student on-site.  All programs have an orientation upon arrival, which covers logistics, culture, and health and safety on-site.
For GO Long students:
GO Long programs have on-site providers and staff who work directly with the students and provide emergency assistance, if needed.  All programs have an orientation upon arrival, which covers logistics, culture, and health and safety on-site.
For GYOW students: 
Student who participate in a GYOW program facilitated by a provider or hosted by a university will have the same resources as GO Long students.  Self-designed GYOW students must share their itinerary with GO Program before departure and follow the guidelines as outlined in the health and safety training.

Please contact the GO Program directly by emailing or by phone 570-372-4697 with additional questions or concerns.