Did you know that you can complete an international internship as part of your GO experience?Check out a list of programs with internships. There are close to 40 approved GO Long programs that offer some type of internship opportunity as part of the program. For some, you are working and studying at the same time; for others, you would start your internship upon the conclusion of your studies. Please note that most international internships are unpaid due to visa restrictions.
*note: alternatively you could complete an international internship through a GYOW program. Please see the GO Office to discuss programs providers if you are interested in an internship program over Summer/Winter break.
Why an international internship?
- Enhance your intercultural communication and cross-cultural experience
- Build a global network
- Get hands-on work experience in the global marketplace
- An international internship – having worked in a foreign country – will jump out on your resume and will help you on the job market.
- You will learn how to work for a foreign boss, with foreign coworkers, and in a foreign city.
- Translate academic skills to the professional workplace
- Explore career goals
- Meaningfully contribute to a company or organization’s mission and goals
- Need more reasons – check out the article 4 Lifelong Benefits You Get From an Internship Abroad in Entrepreneur
- Is an international internship the right fit for you?
- What are your careers and academic goals? How do you think you can leverage an internship abroad to reach these goals?
- What kind of internship do you want to do? You can participate in an internship that relates to your major or choose something in a completely unrelated field. This can be a great way to explore new career possibilities.
- Is the city you're choosing to intern in a good place for the industry in which you are interested?
- Do you speak the local language to enhance your internship experience? Do you want to learn improve on a foreign language that you're learning?
- Do you have interest in pursuing work abroad post-graduation? Perhaps you envision yourself employed by an international or global company? Interning abroad may provide the right networking opportunities and experience to uniquely qualify you.
- Do I need special authorization to intern? While the program will assist you, there are certain Visa or Work Authorization requirements that you will need to obtain. Most international internships are unpaid internships due to Visa restrictions.
- What type of soft skills do you want to focus on and grow? Is there a particular technical skill that you’d like to add to your portfolio? Consider how an internship would allow you to achieve these skills.